ORCHARD PARK HIGH SCHOOL PARKING RULES
STUDENT PARKING REQUIREMENTS
Student parking is a privilege. All vehicles on school property during the school day must display a current, valid parking permit. OPHS parking permits are issued on a first come, first served basis. Applications for student parking permits should be completed on-line in the parent portal and turned in to your house office. Seniors are allowed to park on campus without reason as long as they have a current, valid permit.
Juniors who present a valid reason to drive to school may be issued a parking permit. Reasons for juniors driving to school include employment/job after school or the student is a member of a varsity athletic team or official school co-curricular activity.
With the application, students must submit the following:
- A $10 fee for the first registered vehicle and a $5 fee for an additional vehicle. The preferred method of payment is electronically with a credit card when you fill out the application on the parent portal. Checks can be made payable to OPHS.
*** If you are paying by credit card please attach a copy of your printed receipt to you application as proof that you paid on-line.
- Photocopies of the current valid driver’s license, NYS Registration card for the vehicle(s) you are registering, your current, OPHS identification card and receipt if you paid on-line with a credit card.
- Juniors applying for parking need to submit either a current pay stub or letter from their employer stating their hours of employment or have their coach or advisor sign the application.
ORCHARD PARK HIGH SCHOOL PARKING RULES
- Number of Permits: There will be a limit of 2 permits issued to each student.
- Where to Park: ONLY SENIOR STUDENTS with a current, valid parking permit may park in the Baker Road lot during school hours. Juniors must park in the Athletic Field lot by the turf field. Juniors with current, valid permits may park in the Baker Road lot after 2 pm on school days and on exam days in January and June.
*Students may ONLY park in the Freeman/Faculty lot after 4 pm on school days.
*Parking in the church lot across the street on Baker Road is strictly prohibited. Students who park in the church lot without the permission of the Bishop will automatically receive a disciplinary referral and will lose all parking privileges or future parking privileges on campus.
- Who: Students may only drive vehicles that are registered to them. Siblings, friends, boyfriends, or girlfriends may not drive a vehicle that is not registered to them.
- Where To Pick Up My Permit: You will receive your permit from the Co-Coordinator of Student Activities in the Baker Foyer BEFORE school (Usually between 7:05 a.m. and 7:25 a.m.) Please allow at least 48 hours for your application to be processed.
- Driving or Parking in the Freeman, Faculty Lot: Students may NEVER DRIVE or PARK in the faculty lot between the hours of 7 am and 4 pm on school days. Students caught parking or driving in the faculty lot during these times will lose parking privileges and receive a disciplinary referral.
- Loitering In the Parking Lots: Loitering in the school parking lots before, during, and after school is strictly prohibited.
- Vehicle Searches: Any vehicle parked on school grounds is subject to search by the High School Principal or his designee at any time.
- Vehicle Security & Accidents: Students should lock their vehicles. The school district is NOT responsible for lost or stolen contents in vehicles. If an accident occurs on school property, students should notify the coordinator/adviser of student parking, a principal, school resource officer, or indoor/outdoor monitor. Students should exchange insurance information and parent/guardian phone numbers. OPHS will not mitigate claims between insurance companies. If a student hits a parked, unoccupied vehicle in any way, it is expected that he or she report the incident immediately to the coordinator/adviser of student parking, a principal, school resource officer, or indoor/outdoor monitor. Failure to do so will result in a loss of parking privileges and a disciplinary referral.
- Handicapped Zones: Students may NOT park in the Handicapped (BLUE) Parking Zones without a valid permit issued by the House Principal in charge of Student Activities. See the parking coordinator/adviser for information.
- Baker Lot White Zones: Students may NOT park in the Visitor (WHITE) Parking Zones at ANY TIME before 2pm. These zones are designated for faculty who choose to park in the Baker lot, as well as visitors to OPHS.
- Yellow Parking Zones: Students may park their vehicles in the designated (YELLOW) student parking zones. Students may not park their vehicles outside of the designated parking zones. Students MAY NOT double park their vehicles.
- Parking Orientation Meeting: Students must attend a parking orientation meeting in the OPHS auditorium.before they receive their parking permit. These meetings take place at the beginning of the school year in September ONLY. Dates for the 2019/2020 School year are September 5, 6, 9, and 10. Meetings will begin at 2 pm and end around 2:30 pm. A special meeting for Junior BOCES students will take place on Monday, September 9th at 2:40 pm. There will no longer be parking meetings in January.
- Adding or Replacing a Vehicle: If a student wishes to add or replace a vehicle they may do so via the parent portal. Add or replace the necessary information of the vehicle and print the form. Circle the information of the vehicle you are replacing or adding. There is NO fee for replacing a vehicle. There is a $5 fee for adding a vehicle. Be sure to hand in a copy of the vehicle registration when turning in the new application.
- Transfer of Permits Between Students: TRANSFER OF PARKING PERMITS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. All parties involved will lose their parking privileges and will receive a disciplinary referral.
- Parking Lot Conditions: Students are responsible for the condition of the parking areas. All refuse should be deposited in the appropriate trash receptacles. Students observed littering will receive a disciplinary referral.
- Parking Without a Current, Valid Permit: Students who park on school property without a current, valid permit may receive a disciplinary warning. Any subsequent violation may result in a disciplinary referral. If a student does not already have a current, valid parking permit (on another vehicle), the Student Activities office reserves the right to hold or delay issuance of a parking permit up to 10 weeks upon receipt of the completed parking application.
*Junior Athletic Permits for the fall and winter seasons have an expiration date. Once the permit expires your permit is no longer valid.
- Temporary Parking Permits: Temporary parking permits are only given to students who are already vested in the parking program. Meaning: If you do not have a current, valid parking permit registered with OPHS, you will not be issued a temporary parking permit. Temporary permits can be issued to registered students if their registered vehicle is not available to them on that day or a short period of time. (This could be due to a vehicle in the shop or a family member has taken their registered vehicle or they are in the process of changing registered vehicles)
- Traffic Laws and Rules: The maximum speed limit is 15 mph on campus. Violations for excessive speed may result in a disciplinary referral and/or loss of parking privileges. Pedestrians and school district vehicles will have the right of way at all times on campus.
- Disciplinary Action & Parking: Students may lose parking privileges due to other disciplinary infractions.
- Remind Text Alert System: All students who have parking privileges must subscribe to the Remind Text alert system. We use this system to notify students for emergency purposes ONLY. To sign up you need to text to phone number 81010 and type @cefaeh7 in the message box and hit send.
READ THIS CAREFULLY:
BAKER LOT ONLY: SEPTEMBER & OCTOBER: Students who park their vehicles in the lot after 4 pm (For athletics or co-curricular activities) must park their cars in the first three rows near Baker Road. This is mostly on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. All Students who receive their parking permits before or during these months will receive a schedule. This is due to Quaker Marching Band Practice. The marching band does not have a practice field to use so they use the Baker parking lot twice a week. Students will receive disciplinary action in addition to a parking violation tag for noncompliance of this rule. See the parking lot diagram in the Glove Box Parking Reference Guide (WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR PERMIT). This is their only practice area, respect their practice space.
- The 1st violation of the parking rules will initially have a violation tag adhered to their vehicle and the loss of their parking privileges for a minimum of 10 weeks.
- For any subsequent violation a second violation tag adhered to the vehicle and the loss of parking privileges for the remainder of the school year at the discretion of the parking coordinator/adviser or Administrator of Student Activities.
- Each violation after the 2nd offense will result in the immediate towing of the vehicle at the owner’s expense and a disciplinary referral.
- Reckless driving will not be tolerated. Students driving on campus in a reckless manner or found cutting through parking spaces to make a faster exit will lose their parking privileges immediately and/or receive a disciplinary referral.
STUDENTS MAY NOT DRIVE OR PARK IN THE FREEMAN ROAD FACULTY PARKING LOT FOR ANY REASON FROM 7:00 AM. TO 4:00 PM. VIOLATIONS OF THIS RULE WILL RESULT IN THE LOSS OF PARKING PRIVILEGES AND/OR A DISCIPLINARY REFERRAL. THIS RULE ALSO APPLIES DURING JANUARY AND JUNE FINAL/MIDTERM EXAM WEEKS.
- The OPHS Administration reserves the right to change or modify all or any parking rule at their discretion.