Humanitarian Distinction Award
Who is eligible for the Humanitarian Distinction Award?
All students enrolled in Orchard Park High School are eligible to graduate with the Humanitarian Distinction Award provided the qualifications are met.
What are the qualifications for the Humanitarian Distinction Award?
Students must show a commitment to community by volunteering at various local agencies.
How many hours of service are necessary for recognition?
Gold Status- In four years the student completes 200 hours of community service.
Silver Status- In four years the student completes 100 hours of community service.
Bronze Status- In four years the student completes 50 hours of community service.
Where are some suggested places to volunteer?
There are many local places in need of volunteers. Internet searches, church bulletins, and not-for-profit organizations are good sources to find volunteer opportunities.
Some suggestions for community service are as follows:
Aids Community Services
American Cancer Society
Beaver Meadow Audubon Center
Boys and Girls Clubs
Buffalo City Mission
Friends of the Night
Habitat for Humanity
Heart Animal Rescue
Hearts for the Homeless
Ronald McDonald House
St. Luke’s Mission of Mercy
WNY Food Bank
*This is not a comprehensive list. If there are places you would like to volunteer but are not sure if they will count, e-mail the volunteer coordinator at Lkaralus @opschools.org.
What are O.P.H.S. placement procedures?
1. Students must adhere to all rules initiated by the organization at the placement.
2. Each student must represent Orchard Park High School in a positive manner at all times.
3. Arrive promptly and appropriately dressed.
4. During volunteer hours cell phones should be off unless needed for duty.
5. Credit is awarded at the discretion of the volunteer coordinator and may be denied at the request of placement supervisor.
What is the procedure for going to and completion of the community service?
1. Print a community service form which may be obtained on the Orchard Park High School home page.
2. A form must be submitted each and every time hours of service are performed.
3. The form must be turned into Mrs. Karalus in Room 257 within one week of service date. Forms not submitted on time may not earn credit.
4. The community service form must be completely filled out. Forms without appropriate signatures or with incomplete headings or phone numbers will not be accepted and will be returned.
5. Please make a copy for your records.
6. Service will be verified with placement supervisor. Credit will be given with supervisor approval.
7. Students may not be supervised by a parent or close relative. Please choose another member of the agency to supervise if a parent is involved.
8. Community service must be performed after school hours.
9. Out of country mission trips will be awarded eight hours of credit per day.
In order to receive credit for your placement be sure to fill out the form attached below and complete in its entirety. Forms that are incomplete will be returned and will not qualify for volunteer hours. Each placement volunteer form must be completed and submitted within a week of service. It is suggested that you make a copy for your records.