Welcome to the Board of Education Meeting Information Page
Upcoming Meetings of the Board of Education
Tuesday, April 13, 2021 - 6 pm (Executive Session meeting)
Thursday, April 15, 2021 - 6 pm (Executive Session meeting)
Friday, April 16, 2021 - 6 pm (Executive Session meeting)
Tuesday, April 20, 2021 - 7 pm - Regular Meeting
School Board Meetings: Open Meetings Law
Pursuant to Governor Cuomo’s Executive Order 220.1 suspending the Open Meetings Law, the Orchard Park Central School District Board of Education Meeting will be held electronically instead of a public meeting open for the public to attend in person. Members of the public may view the meeting via a live stream. The link will be posted on this page on the day of the meeting.
The District will post a link to the live broadcast of the meeting here.
Board Meeting Agendas are posted the day prior to the Board meeting. Click to view current Board Agendas.
School Board meetings generally begin at 7 p.m. and are held at the Administration Building, unless otherwise announced.
BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING DATES - MORE DATES MAY BE ADDED IF NEEDED. Special meetings may be called by the Board to discuss and act on matters that cannot wait until a regular Board meeting date. Notice must also be given for these meetings. Board of Education agendas are posted on the Monday prior to meeting dates. Please call 209-6280 if you have questions or need additional information.
- July 1, 2020 - 6 pm - Organizational Meeting & Regular Meeting
- July 28, 2020 - 6 pm
- August 11, 2020 - 6 pm
- August 25, 2020 - 6 pm
- September 15, 2020 - 7 pm - POSTPONED - moved to September 29, 2020
- October 13, 2020 - 7 pm
- October 20, 2020 - 6 pm
- November 17, 2020 - 7:30 pm
- December 7, 2020 - 6:30 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- December 8, 2020 - 7 pm (Executive Session 5:30-7 pm)
- December 15, 2020 - 7 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- December 19, 2020 - 9 am (Executive Session and meeting)
- January 12, 2021 - 7 pm
- January 13, 2021 - 6:30 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- February 9, 2021 - 7 pm
- February 10, 2021 - 6:30 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- March 9, 2021 - 7 pm (Executive Session (6:30-7pm)
- March 30, 2021 - 7 pm
- March 31, 2021 - 6:30 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- April 13, 2021 - 6 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- April 15, 2021 - 6 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- April 16, 2021 - 6 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- April 20, 2021 - 7 pm
- May 3, 2021 - 6:30 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- May 4, 2021 - 7 pm
- May 5, 2021 - 6:30 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- May 6, 2021 - 6:30 pm (Executive Session meeting)
- May 18, 2021 - Annual Vote & Election (7 am-9 pm - High School Gym)
- June 8, 2021 - 7 pm
The Orchard Park Central School District Board of Education meetings are public and the Board welcomes community members, students and staff to attend their meetings.
Board of Education Mission Statement
"To serve the students and citizens of the Orchard Park Central School District, the Board of Education provides direction and leadership to create an atmosphere of excellence and accountability, for both the present and the future, so that all students can reach their full potential to live a life capably, responsibly and fully."
What is a Meeting?
"Meeting" is defined as "the official convening of a public body for the purpose of conducting public business." Because regular and special sessions (meetings) of the Board of Education are held in public they are frequently referred to as public, or open, meetings. Thus, this is a public meeting; not a meeting of the public. A specific time is set aside at the beginning and end of each regular Board meeting for public comment. The Board encourages you to contact the Superintendent of Schools or your building administrator for student matters or matters that do not require Board action and can be handled by administration.
The Board also meets in executive session. Executive (closed door) sessions may be held by resolution of the Board at a regularly scheduled or announced special session or business session. An executive session is not separate from an open meeting. Rather it is a portion of an open meeting during which the public may not attend.
The Open Meetings Law of New York State defines the subjects which may be discussed behind closed doors. Generally, these involve personnel matters, labor negotiations, litigation, and matters related to criminal investigations which would imperil the law enforcement process if publicly disclosed.
About Your Board of Education and the Role of a Board of Education
The Board of Education is elected by District voters to govern schools and determine educational policies. Technically, Board members are Local Officials, their authority and duties are defined by the state and federal constitutions and laws as well as by rules and regulations promulgated by the Board of Regents and commissioner of education, and other regulatory agencies. Terms are for three years. Board candidates run at-large instead of for a specific seat. Members of the Board of Education are volunteers. They receive no salary for their work. They do not have the day-to-day duties of running a school district, rather their role is oversight and setting policy; the superintendent is responsible for all aspects of the district and he/she reports to the Board.
The usual order of business at a regular business meeting of the Board of Education is:
1. Opening, which includes call to order, Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, roll call and announcements.
2. A Public Comment Section (regarding items listed on the agenda).
3. Consensus Section, which includes one vote to approve minutes, financial matters, personnel matters, special education matters and textbook adoption recommendations.
6. Action Items
8. A Second Public Comment Section (regarding items on the agenda or other items related to the work of the Board of Education).
9. Provision for Executive Session
NOTE: Items grouped under Consensus (minutes, finance, personnel) are considered as a group and usually voted upon with a single motion.