The PSAT/NMSQT - The Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test / National Scholarship Qualifying Test
The PSAT is offered in October of each year. The test should be taken by all juniors who plan to attend college. Students are given information each September indicating how to register for the PSAT (see attached file below). They should see their school counselor if they have additional questions or require more information.
Reasons for taking the PSAT:
- The PSAT is good practice for SAT.
- The PSAT results can be a good indicator of areas where a student may need practice before taking the SAT.
- A student can compare his/her ability to do college work with the abilities of other college bound students.
- The test is the first step in qualifying for the National Merit Scholarship competition.
- Registering for the test and authorizing the release of information about personal interests will allow students to receive useful literature from colleges and universities.
*The 2020 OPHS PSAT date is October 17, 2020 from 7:30am-12:00pm. Students who take the test on this date should receive their results and interpretive information in mid-December.*