Units of Study
Intellectual Standards in Scientific Thinking
- Could you elaborate further on your hypothesis (or idea)?
- Could you give me a more detailed explanation of the phenomenon you have in mind?
- How could we check on those data?
- How could we verify or test that theory?
- Could you be more specific?
- Could you give me more details on the phenomenon?
- Could you be more exact as to how the mechanism takes place?
- How do those data relate to the problem?
- How do they bear on the question?
- What factors make this a difficult scientific problem?
- What are some of the complexities we must consider?
- Do we need to look at this from another perspective?
- Do we need to consider another point of view?
- Do we need to look at this in other ways?
- Are all the data consistent with each other?
- Are these two theories consistent?
- Is this implied by the data we have?
- Is this the central idea to focus on?
- Which set of data is most important?
- Do I have a vested interest in this issue that keeps me from looking at it objectively?
- Am I misrepresenting a view with which I disagree?