- Folding the laundry together.
- At a meal in a restaurant (don't stare!)
- In front of the computer together.
- When the parent wants to go to bed!
- Ordinary routines such as cleaning the table, bringing in groceries.
- After school over snacks.
- In the bathroom while you are brushing your teeth or doing make-up.
- When you are on the phone!
- When the house is quiet.
- While watching t.v.
- While riding in the car.
- On a walk together.
- Doing outside activities such as raking leaves, putting up storm windows.
- Any place where you talk indirectly.
- Talk to them over the phone or via email.
- Leave notes on kid's bed.
- Talk to the pets about the kid in front of the kid!
- Talk about other kids to your kid.
- Talk hypothetically. ("What if..." or "I wonder...")
NB: Don't stop what you are doing when your child opens up. Ask only questions that are action oriented. Remember to use Humor!
(Keep it simple)