Parent Resources for the Common Core
New York has transitioned from state standards to the Common Core Learning Standards (CCLS). Students in grades 3-12 received an intentional introduction to the Common Core standards beginning with the 2011-12 school year. In 2014-15, all ELA and math teachers will only teach Common Core.
The Common Core State Standards:
- are aligned with college and work expectations.
- include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills.
- build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards.
- are internationally benchmarked.
- are evidence and/or research-based.
The Common Core Learning Standards will:
- help prepare all students with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in college and careers.
- assist students who move between states.
- create the opportunity for America to compete for high-wage, high-skill jobs in a knowledge-based economy.
- allow for more focused pre-service education and professional development.
- create economies of scale around areas such as curriculum, instructional resources, and assessment.
Click on the files at the bottom of the page to see Overviews of the Math Common Core and the ELA common Core. These were shared at recent PTO meetings.